Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Slang Teacher-Wide Boy Awake

So Gavin M. and myself are waging a war of attrition. The skirmishes have consisted of an interchange of 80's obscurities. The goal: guess the band and/or song. The underdog, I rely on quick feints at the edge of Messr. Gavin's fraying, genius mind. He, the overdog, relies on the massive blindspot known as my lack of musical knowledge. So far the battles have included:

Gavin M.: Bluebells' "Cath" (a friendly exhortation to eat it cobag because I didn't know it)

Pinko: Freur "Devil and Darkness" (implied EAT IT COBAG since he should have known it)

Gavin M.: Orange Juice "Rip It Up" (completely awesome, but a definite EAT IT COBAG HOW MUCH DO YOU SUCK from the master, because how could it be possible that I didn't know it)

Pinko: Thrashing Doves "Beautiful Imbalance" (oh, now who is the master of obscure and forgotten?)

Everything has been a skirmish up to including the recent exhchange:

Gavin M.: Wide Boy Awake-Slang Teacher

Holy crap. Of course I didn't guess it as this band never even had an album. As an artifact people might be all, this sucks, it's English White Boy Hip-Hop from 1983!!!!!! What I might point out to you cobags, is the first 10 seconds could easily be Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" or New Order's "Perfect Kiss" and it probably predates them both. And it's got spacey walled up behind the cheese casiotone and of course some slappy bass. These oddities are actually important to remember before Clear Channel completely erases all musical history.

What's next? I'm gonna take a risk and try....

(pop renaissance- you have the raw material to feed my desire to crush G., please help me out)