Wednesday, November 30, 2005

I Should Be Allowed to Think-They Might Be Giants

I'm not too cool to admit that these guys were the first show I went to. They were on their Flood tour, Flood being an album of 2 minute nasal-dork pop gems (if you're into that kind of thing). That's pretty much how their first three albums were. The show was amazing because it was back when people went to shows to, you know, dance and have fun without beating the shit out of each other or just standing there nodding. It started to get pretty hit and miss after Apollo 18 (their fourth I believe), and this track comes from their next one, John Henry. I was also disillusioned by this band accidently seeing them twice on their John Henry tour. This is when you realize how much stage patter is canned and it is a horrible horrible moment. I'm sorry, but this track quotes Allen Ginsberg then drops the line "I saw the worst bands of my generation/applied in magic marker to drywall" and that is funny. I'm not sorry that you are annoyed. I swear this song also rips a riff from Toto's Dune soundtrack, but I'm not nerd enough to know that for sure. Who's gonna field that one for us?

Even if I don't love TMBG, I can still think of 15 or so songs that entertain, including the geek-love anthem "She's an Angel" which completely blew my mind hearing it for the first time at the Utah State Fairgrounds. Ah, good times.
I saw the best minds of my generation
Destroyed by madness, starving, hysterical
I should be allowed to glue my poster
I should be allowed to think

I should be allowed to glue my poster
I should be allowed to think
I should be allowed to think
I should be allowed to think
And I should be allowed to blurt the merest idea
If by random whim, one occurs to me
If necessary, leave paper stains on the grey utility pole

I saw the worst bands of my generation
applied by magic marker to dry wall
I should be allowed to shoot my mouth off
I should have a call in show