Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Gunning for the Buddha-Shriekback

We're on the road to go gunning for the Buddha/we know his name and he mustn't get away

For some reason this song got radio play from these English New Wavers' Big Night Music set (in SLC, UT). You might remember their dance floor stomp "Nemesis" from Oil and Gold. Trouser Press bio here. This song is one of those jaunty tunes that sounds just different enough, and is different enough from what you'd expect from them (the pounding stomp and harsh scraggly chant of "Big black nemesis/parthenogenesis" from "Nemesis"), that you remember it. Comes across as an islandy travelogue of some guys quest to go gunning for the Buddha, whatever that means. I picture Inside Edition era Bill O'Reilly and his cameraman on the hunt down for an elusive story in a Duran Duran video. And then it has a couple of notes in the outro (is it steel drum? I don't remember, my computer ate this song last time my hard drive got fried) that is the outro that you are pissed the DJ talks over. I really hate that. I'm guessing only pop ren, maybe Seitz know this song. I don't know what made me think about it, I think Midnight Oil got me thinking about crazy bald frontmen. Does Shreikback have one of those?