Saturday, July 09, 2005

The Popular-Splitsville

Coming on from indiefied 70s reveling am pop balladeers/troubadours Splitsville, this song centers around a climbing chorus of "And I feel the pain of the pop-u-lar/I feel your pain" and you have a vague feeling of something biting and larger than the strummy stylings. Of course I just looked up the lyrics, and I don't know what the hell I am talking about. The song is both a warped joke and the dark side of a person's psyche. Completely at odds thematically, but musically absolutely cohesive, "Popular" is followed by a gorgeous, pining tribute to Brian Wilson called "The Lovesongs of B. Douglas Wilson" that ends:
Surf's up again...
The album of course is titled The Complete Pet Soul, which might give you a clue whence the band hails musically. 10/10 (even with the screwed up lyrics, don't worry you can't understand them anyway)